Friday, January 23, 2009
Parent's Night Out
Tonight was our monthly Parent's Night Out (PNO)! It is a night where parents in our church and community can sign up to have a "night out". Sometimes our Sunday School classes (or small groups) have fellowships during this time too. Tonight we had more signed up than ever before- we had a few that did not come for various reasons- here is what we ended up with 101 children in the Babies - Fours and 57 in Kindergarten - 5th grade. We were way up in preschool and a little down in elementary ages. I am so thankful for the 40 workers who helped us pull off tonight!
This year in PNO we are taking a "road trip" throughout our country. Last year we went around the world. Tonight our focus planned long ago was on Chicago. For our missions in elementary aged classes they watched part of the inauguration of President Obama. They also wrote letters to him or a member of his family. Of course many wanted to write the Obama girls. I wish you could all read the letters- they are precious.
They also made a prayer sheet we will send them- here are few of those prayer list requests-
They all listed 10 but I will list some of my favorites. Okay I couldn't leave any out - so I posted them all- sorry it is long but very sweet!
I encourage you to make a list as a family of prayers you have for President Obama and Vice President Biden and their families. This is a great teachable moment- right here at the beginning of a new Presidential term.
One of our PNO kids in first grade actually got to meet former President Jimmy Carter this past week- that is so cool. I am so excited for you F.H.
From the Kindergarten class........... (for the Obama Family)
1. We pray you have good food.
2. We pray you will be safe.
3. We pray you are healthy.
4. We pray you have good ideas.
5. We pray you have friends.
6. We pray for the White House.
7. We pray for your family.
8. We pray for church... the one you go to.
9. We pray your new dog is good.
From the 1st Grade class (for Vice President Biden)
1. We pray you have enough money to buy food
2. We pray that you are healthy.
3. We pray that you stay safe.
4. We pray you will be a good Vice-President.
5. We pray you have a happy life.
6. We pray that you love God.
7. We pray you have a great birthday.
8. We pray for you to have a good year.
9. We pray you take good care of your wife and kids.
10. We pray you will read the Bible.
From the 2nd and 3rd grade boys (for President Obama)
1. We hope God blesses you and your Presidency.
2. We pray God blesses you in every way.
3. We pray that you make good laws.
4. We pray God keeps you safe everywhere you go.
5. We pray that you are doing okay.
6. We pray that you do not have any problems.
7. We pray you do not have much paperwork.
8. We pray you keep America clean.
9. We pray that you have a good time being President.
10. We pray for your family's safety.
From the 2nd - 5th grade girls and 4th and 5th grade boys (for President Obama)
1. We pray that you remain safe.
2. We pray that you do a good job.
3. We pray that your family has good health.
4. We pray that you make good decisions.
5. We pray that you enjoy being President.
6. We pray you help keep our country safe.
7. We pray the girls do well in their new schools.
8. We pray for your leadership of the military.
9. We pray you make good decisions for our schools.
10. We pray your daughters would make friends.
Here are the verses our mission's teacher - Ms. Kelly- shared with them! We wanted them to know tonight that we are to respect, follow and pray for our authority (regardless who they wanted to win the election).
I Timothy 2:1-2 "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority. "
Hebrews 13:17 "Obey your leaders and submit to their authority."
Romans 13:1-2 "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted."
Titus 3:1 "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good."
2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
P.S. If you have NOT signed up for the coupon class for February 5th (First Baptist Church Cleveland, TN) please do so. 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. classes for whichever fits your need (childcare at 10 a.m. only). We have over 80 signed up now- so it is filling up fast! Read the past post to see how to sign up!