As I headed back inside- here are the three I passed. I will never cease to be amazed at the handiwork of Disney cast members. One of the sessions I attended was by Alan Nelson. It was on leadership development. You can go to his website and actually download the power point he shared with our class here!
Here are some of the things I took away and just reviewed tonight. It was a good review in light of the fact I am in the midst of praying through putting together some leadership teams for summer ministries.
- Just because someone has a passion for ministry doesn't mean they can lead. Team them someone who can lead.
He also spoke of Other People's Influence. He encouraged us to think about the following and reminded us we all need people with influence in our corner.
- Power is a resource, tap it!
- ID (identify) influencers.
- Develop them! - Create a booster team! Empower them to cast a vision! Unleash them to run interference.
- Get to know the gatekeepers.
Here are his TEN COMMANDMENTS OF TEAM BUILDERS
- Thou Shalt empower leadership.
- Thou Shalt ID others with influence gifts.
- Thou Shalt clearly define tasks and talents.
- Thou Shalt not micro-manage.
- Thou Shalt lead up (that thy ministry might be blessed).
- Thou Shalt do everything in teams.
- Thou Shalt not pursue trivia.
- Thou Shalt facilitate leadership training.
- Thou Shalt manage by wandering around.
- Thou Shalt not neglect thy soul.
I encourage you to check out conference websites, seminar speakers, etc. Often just because you can not attend the conference doesn't mean you can find session downloads, MP3s etc. Sometimes you can find these free or for a small fee. Personally I could be a conference junkie- I love conferences- the networking, the learning and the dreaming.
I also encourage you to network in your area with other Children's Ministers - you can share resources from conferences this way too! I am thankful for the Cleveland Children's Ministry Network - glad I can attend this month's lunch. If you don't have a network in your area- find an area that does or pray about beginning one in your area! I'm so thankful that Jonnie Shumate felt led to begin one in Cleveland. I'm also looking forward to attending the group in nearby Chattanooga when I can.
Have a blessed week as you look for those influencers, leaders and those with a passion at your place of ministry!