Friday, July 5, 2013

Summer Memories

As I walked to my car to go home, I heard a familiar sound.  A sound that took me back to my childhood.  It took me to a special place.   It is a place I simply call "The Ball Field".  

When you grow up in a family who loves softball you spend many days at this place.  Just thinking back brings many moments flooding to my mind.   A big smile spreads across my face as I shut my eyes and go back in time.  For just a moment I can smell, even taste this place.  I smell hot dogs and popcorn.  I begin to crave a cherry sno cone.  I snarl my face as I remember the times I tasted dirt in my mouth.  I can hear the cheers and encouraging words of team mates.  I hear my coach clap his hands and point his finger to his eye and tell me to keep my eye on the ball.  I hear that coach call time out and pull me to this side and tell me to take a deep breath and tell me I can do this.  I shake my head and tell my dad (yes he was always the coach) that I am ready.  I head to the batter's box - remembering that anxious feeling that your team was counting on you.  I remember the pats on the back with words next time when I struck or grounded out.    I can feel the high fives and excitement when I got a hit or threw someone out.  

I am sitting in my car now but can't seem to move.  My drive down memory lane isn't over.  I am laughing.  I look around wondering if anyone can see me because they will surely think I am crazy.  I am laughing hard.  I am remembering this silly song my mom sang.  No, she didn't really sing it she screamed it.  My teammates as well as my two younger sister's teammates always loved it.  Funny I don't remember how she got started with this little song.  But we loved it.  The song was about a little chicken who wouldn't lay an egg.  I can't seem to remember all the words- I need to ask her for them.  

I realize I need to leave but all the sudden I see lots of faces - as if they are scrolling on a movie screen.  I see team mates, coaches, umpires, parents, siblings, etc.  I remember special memories with so many of them.  

I am thankful for "The Ball Field" because it taught me so much about life.  It taught me about having a extended family with those in the softball world.  It showed me my parents were willing to make sacrifices for me to be able to play and travel to tournaments.  It took our family to many exciting places.  More than anything it made me a better person.

If you were to pick a place from your summer memories, where would you go? 

No comments: