Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gabby Douglas = Incredible Role Model for Kids Today

 Although few knew her name before July 27, 2012, Gabby Douglas is now a household name for many.  I would also venture to say not just in the USA but across the world. Gabby won gold in the Individual All-Around and gold in Team Events.  She is also the first African-American lady to win the All-Around gold.  What an incredible accomplishment. 

She is already being called an American sweetheart, an icon and a celebrity.  She has appeared on Good Morning America, The Today show, Time magazine, a cereal box and the front page of newspapers world wide.  She is an incredible young lady from all I have read.  I am not the only one searching to find out more about Gabby.  Google reports she was among their "hot searches" list last week - with over 500,00 hits on her name.  One article I read reports Gabby and her mother were among those who joined in the Google search.   One thing she found was those criticizing her hair- which she called "bizarre." 

Her coach says that when Mary Lou Retton became the first American to win the Gold in the All-Around gymnastics competition ever- gymnastics participation in the states doubled that next year.  He can't imagine what will happen this time.  I think little girls everywhere will want to be like Gabby and flock to gymnastic centers around the world.  And I say- Go girls Go!

Gabby has given the praise and thanks to Jesus.  She states it in interviews and tweets.  I looked it up myself after I began following her on twitter ( https://twitter.com/gabrielledoug).  She tweets Bible verses, encouraging words, and other things 16 year old tweet about.  One of her latest tweets -
Thank you guys for everything! I am SO grateful God has truly blessed me! Remember to ALWAYS give him the glory for he is GREAT! <3 nbsp="nbsp" p="p">

I know we all have our faults and make mistakes- scripture tells us that (Romans 3:23) BUT she is one young lady who is trying her best to use the platform God has given her to praise Him.  It is my prayer that just as little girls will flock to be like her in the sport of gymnastics- they will also be inspired to follow after Him with all they do and say!  I am praying as she is advised on endorsements, speaking engagements and anything else tied to her name.  I am praying knowing she has the opportunity to share with many,  I am praying they will know the strong name of Jesus and His great love for them!
Way to go Gabby!


Congrats Gabby!    




No comments: